Extras only cover
Private insurance for extras helps with the cost of non-hospital services, not covered by Medicare. Depending on your policy and level of cover, you’ll get some or all of the costs refunded.
Generally you’ll have to serve waiting periods, where you are prevented from making a claim from your insurance company – unless you’re switching insurers, where waiting periods are waivered if you move to a policy of similar or lower value. And annual limits on claiming will also typically apply for each type of service.
Extras policies usually include cover for services such as:
- Optical and eye treatment (glasses and contacts)
- Chiropractic, physiotherapy and osteopathy
- Occupational and speech therapy
- Home nursing
- Pharmaceuticals not cover by Medicare
- Natural therapies, like naturopathy and massage
- Health management and wellness programs